- Great Lighting. A single TDD in a room can offer dramatic results. One device can provide the kind of illumination you would expect from a skylight many times its size.
- It’s Economical. The cost of TDDs is significantly less that other natural light option, such a windows and skylights. This applies to both the product price as well as the installation costs.
- Installation is quick and simple. Installing a daylighting device does not require any structural modification of the home. Even drywalling and painting is eliminated. It is a great DIY project and most homeowners with basic DIY abilities will be able to install a device in a day. A professional will typically be able to complete the job in a couple of hours.
- They can be installed almost anywhere. The design of TDDs is extremely compact and the technology is designed to allow for installation in just about every part of the home. This includes spaces that do not have direct roof access or where windows cannot be installed. Think about that large gloomy closet you have. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to open the door and have it full of bright natural light?
- It’s green. With TDDs you can switch off your electric lights during daylight hours. This will not only reduce your energy bills but also enable you to do your part in reducing environmental pollution. You pay nothing for the light and no fuels are consumed to provide it.
- It’s healthy. Have you noticed how good you feel when in sunlight? With TDDs you can bring the light, and the same feeling, to every corner of your home. It’s not just a feeling you have. Numerous scientific studies have shown that an increased exposure to natural light can improve mental and physical wellbeing and also boost energy levels and the ability to concentrate.
The growing awareness of the benefits of daylighting devices means that you have a number of manufacturers to choose from. You don’t install daylighting devices every year. Go in for a known and reputed manufacturer with an established track record. And look for the Energy Star label on the products which means that they have met the very strict quality and functional specifications of both the Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency.