The worst bill at the beginning of every month is the energy bill. Whether it is summer or winter, energy bills seem to be sky rocketing. People need to use the air conditioning a lot during summer, and the heating system gets used a lot during winter. Is there any way to bring down your energy bill? Yes, there are many ways. Some of them are easy, quick and cost effective tips. Some may cost a little extra in the beginning but in the long term, your energy bills are sure to reduce in a big way.
Summer tips to reduce energy bills
- Use heavy drapes for your windows. Thick, dark colored drapes will reduce the amount of sunlight coming into the room and keep it cooler longer. So, the amount of time your air conditioner runs will lessen.
- Ventilate your home well. You can get solar powered attic fans that will expel stale air from the house and let in fresh air. This air circulation not only makes your indoor air quality better, but helps cool the home down.
- Use daylighting systems to light up your home. Most often, the windows are closed and drapes are drawn to keep the heat out. This makes the interior dark, and electric lights have to be switched on in the house at all times. This adds to the energy bill, while at the same time increasing the heat in the room. By fixing daylighting systems, you have natural light coming into the house which is healthy and at no cost to you. Between the daylighting system and the solar powered fans, you can help decrease your energy bill quite a bit.
- Have indoor and outdoor plants. Having a lot of plants around your home brings down the temperature in your home by quite a few degrees.
- Lessen the amount of cooking. Have cold cuts and cold salads during summer and lessen the use of the stove, barbeque, ovens etc, as they add to the heat in the home.
- Reduce the use of electrical appliances as it raises the heat level.
Winter tips to reduce energy consumption
- Make sure that your home is well insulated. Even small cracks and gaps will lessen the efficiency of the heater.
- There are insulation materials that can be used inside your walls and under the floors to make the rooms warmer.
- Ventilate your home well even in winter. Since everything is kept closed, the quality of indoor air will become unhealthy. With the solar powered attic fan you can make sure that your indoor air is healthy
- Even in winter, daylighting systems are a smart option. You need light more than ever in winter as daylight hours are less. Instead of using artificial lighting, daylighting systems will bring in natural light to light up your homes, making it healthy and what’s more, it is absolutely free too.
- Smart LEDs use the free and natural energy of the sun. The systems absorb and store the energy when the sun is out, and later uses the stored energy to power the LEDs when it gets dark. Again, totally free lighting which will reduce your energy bill.
Be smart and savvy and spend a little now, but earn returns in a big way by bringing down your power bills. And what is more, you are lessening your carbon footprint too.